1. Sync software was too latent. The employees often wanted to be more productive than they were allowed to be, due to network latency and performance issues caused by file locks used in the sync solution..
2. Sync solution caused corrupt indexes and often needed troubleshooting..
3. A separate backup solution had to be implemented to capture and protect data in a geo-redundant fashion, and to provide restore points to old data..
4. File corruption on 1 file would be replicated to all sites..
5. Sync solution caused network congestion at each site despite the vendor’s best efforts..
6. NCM had to maintain their central data center, and had concerns over long term security strategy and hardware capital expenses at every refresh cycle.
Our Migration Process
Mohan and the NCM team were worried about disrupting users during the migration, given the huge change in infrastructure. Rightly so! We used a co-existence build out to stage the new environment, set and apply permissions to the new File System Architecture and then worked with NCM to supply each site with just the hot data they needed, the rest was archived to File Storage sitting directly in Azure. The staged environment allowed an easy cut over, with a built-in contingency in case things went sour. They didn’t! All users were mapped to all of the data they needed to access across local caches and central Azure systems.